Thursday, August 17, 2006

W Minus Ten

It is ten days before I get married. There's a part of me that's still pretty suprised by that. The rest of me is busy freaking out.

Prior to now, I've been relatively calm about this whole thing. I've never been nervous about the marriage aspect of it and I'm not now. As I see it, we'll wake up in the morning together and go to bed at night together and the only tangible difference will be the addition of a couple of rings. It's not that I don't place any importance on getting married; if that were true we probably wouldn't be going through with this. It's just that since we've been living together for several years, we share a house, and we parent two rabbits together, I don't see this as a new begining or a life altering event. It's more a formal confirmation of what we already have. The worry is because of the event, not what it symbolizes. Andrew feels much the same way, but he got a head start on being nervous about it, so I have to cram an equivalent amount of worrying into roughly two weeks.

To be fair, we have accomplished a lot. I just spoke briefly with our officiant, who is supposed to call me back, which would mean the really essential stuff is pretty much set. But there are still those little things to deal with and that nagging fear that something more important than the music is going to go wrong. For two straight nights, I've had dreams about things going wrong at the weddings, one of which involved Darth Vader (who, weirdly, was not at all related to the problem we were having).

To (hopefully) calm my nerves and possibly make for some interesting reading, here's what we've got done and what we have left to do:

Things We've Done

- Booked the location
- Sent invitations and recieved responses from pretty much everyone
- Decided on the menu
- Ordered the flowers
- Hired an officiant
- Bought speakers for the iPod
- Purchased and recieved wedding rings
- Decided on outfits
- Gone to salon and made home appointment for the day
- Hired a limo
- Bought a guest book
- Obtained a marriage license
- Contacted photographer
- Had my mom order favors

Things To Do

- Get a pen for the guest book
- Finish selecting music
- Confirm ceremony plan with officiant
- Finalize menu with planner
- Buy other part of favors
- Get hairclips and other dress accessories
- Get something old from Mom and something borrowed
- Make emergency kit and find someone to hold it
- Tell Andrew I love him

If you notice any obvious omissions, please let me know. I may have done them and just forgotten to write them in.

So we do have a lot done. But there's still a lot to do, and this doesn't even touch on cleaning the house for our coming guests. I can only imagine how crazy "normal" brides with their much bigger weddings and 100 or more guests, must get my this point. Or is it comforting to have worked over every detail for months on end and have a rehearsal and so on? I like to think my smaller wedding is saving me some stress, but you never know.

Given what I've still got to do, I'm not sure if I'll get back to the blog before the big day. I'll try to at least post a rundown of how things went, though most people who actually read this will be attending. Until then, I expect to continue being stressed out and having odd dreams.

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Donna!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know! Oh man, that part about the Darth Vader in your dream made me crack up! HAHA!

Don't stress! Just think, you could be involved in my sister's wedding >_< Guh...

Angry Android said...

The Darth Vader dream is a sign that you have to use "The Imperial March": as your entrance music.

Sara said...

I think I was actually considering doing just that in the dream, with the added touch of attendants forming a tunnel of lightsabers. I woke up and realized that this was ahorrible idea and my subconcious is a big nerd.

Kim, I'm pretty sure Vader's appearence was a result of me reading all the posts about your Vader bobblehead.