Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Tuesday Anticipation

With a title like this, you can tell it's been a slow day.

But regardless, Tuesdays are often pretty cool. New DVDs, music, and video games all tend to come out on Tuesday. And this week looks like it's going to be a lot of fun for me. Two items I've been eagerly anticipating are coming out. Specifically...

Gorillaz - Demon Days



I wish I could find a picture to go with this that I felt OK about snatching; I'm probably overly cautious about taking images off the web without explicit permission. Anyway, Gorillaz is probably completely unique in that I enjoy the visual aspects of the band's products as much as - if no more than - their music. Don't get me wrong, I really like the songs too and "Feel Good Inc." gets stuck in my head for about three days every time I hear it (in a good way). But it's the illustration and animation that really gets me jazzed. If you haven't seen the video for "Feel Good Inc. yet, I suggest you stop reading this immediately and go see it now. It's some of the best animation I've seen in quite a while.

Also...

Batman: The Animated Series - Volume 3



(Linking to IMDB because Warner Brothers' Batman:TAS site is pretty craptacular.)

This - it seems - is the last of the episodes of this spectacular show's run. (I'm 99% certain some of them were run under the "Adventures of Batman and Robin" name, but it's still all before the move to WB and the style change for "The New Batman/Superman Adventures".) Quite simply, for me, this IS Batman. Forget Michael Keaton, forget Val Kilmer, and please for the love of all that is good, forget George Clooney. (Well, not entirely. Just in that movie.) At this point, I can't even remember if I saw any of the movies before I saw this show or not, but no matter. This is what shaped my view of who Batman is and what he's all about. Granted, this particular box set contains the worst Batman: TAS episode ever ("The Terrible Trio"), but it also has some of the best, like "The Demon's Quest", "Sideshow", "Showdown", "Harlequinade", and "Harley's Holiday". (I'll be happy to summarize these episodes for anyone who might be curious.) Plus, the DVD has sweet, sweet commentary, including a video commentary that I'm looking forward to. All in all, the nostalgia shall be heavy in the air.

So if I don;t get a post done tomorrow, you'll know why.

2 comments:

trekker9er said...

"Feel Good Inc."

Wow. Oh yeah, I'm now a fan.

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who thinks the chorus sounds like parts of U2's Staring at the Sun? o_O

As for Batman the Animated Series, that will always be my favourite Batman related...thingy. Catwoman was awesome! Cats Rights Activism! ^_^